Job Description: Data Engineer (£40,000 - £60,000 depending on experience, discretionary bonus plus enhanced benefits -
including unlimited paid annual leave, discounted gym membership and more)
Role overview (click here to find out more about Profusion and staff benefits):
We are looking for an outstanding Data Engineer to join our growing analytics and data science team. The
successful person will have the opportunity to work with blue-chip clients on cutting-edge data science and
innovative data driven marketing solutions. Many of our clients are embarking on game-changing digital
and data transformation projects that will fundamentally change how they operate. You will be in a pivotal
position to help our clients and Profusion undertake these cutting-edge projects that have industry-wide
The ideal candidate is a Data Engineer with strong SQL and Python skills and previous experience working
with APIs as well as designing and maintaining ETL pipelines that gather and transform data from different
You will have great potential for personal and career development and will learn from and share knowledge
with a range of talented, highly skilled and an internationally diverse team of colleagues. This is an exciting
journey to be on with a pioneering, fast-growing company situated at the heart of London’s Tech City.
This is a team-based role, where the project work is varied and shared amongst other engineers so you will not just be focused on one part of the process. Being able to see the big picture and work collaboratively is critical.
• Working with a team of analysts, data scientists and data engineers amongst other stakeholders to
identify and implement best solutions for the analytical needs of a project
• Contributing to architectural designs, engaging in technical discussions and presenting solutions to
• Work with our technical partners and suppliers to ensure their technology is implemented for our
internal requirements and for our client projects
• Work with our internal operations team to ensure a robust business intelligence architecture is in
place across all sections of the business
• Heavily involved in the building and development of the architecture and engineering process of
projects including building API’s as well as other scripts to set up and automate engineering
pipelines and solutions
• Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
• Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
• Identify, design and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes,
optimising data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
• Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with
data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
• Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and
optimising our products and services into an innovative industry leader.
• Work with the commercial and sales teams, supporting client meetings, pitches and add value to
client proposals, new business strategy and company case studies.
Personal Specification: Experience and Skills
We are looking for an experienced candidate with relevant prior experience in Data Engineering.
Technical Skills Essential
• Advanced SQL knowledge as well as familiarity with different SQL dialects (PostgreSQL, Oracle,
• Advanced Python programming
• Proven experience of the creation of ETL pipelines/processed to ingest data from an API
• Commercial experience of using Docker
• Experience in database design (table schemas, indexes, primary/foreign keys, updating logic, data
purging logic etc)
• Experience with cloud computing (preferably AWS)
• Understanding of Agile methodologies
• Commercial experience of using Airflow
• Understanding of broader cloud computing, especially AWS (S3, Lambda, API Gateway, Redshift,
micro-services and serverless architecture, IAM authentication and policy management)
• Understanding of network infrastructure and strong aptitude for using Linux
• Understanding of DevOps principles and methodologies
• Additional programming language knowledge such as R, Bash and JS
Personal skills and competencies
• Strong problem-solving skills, willingness to take ownership and risks, and enthusiasm in the face of
• Strong organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines in a calm and effective
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
• Strong communication skills, with the ability to support client meetings
• Client focused, with the ability to interpret and understand client needs and deliver results
• The ability to understand the wider company operations, goals and objectives and where data
engineering can add value
• A proactive approach and the ability to be self -managing and innovative.
Due to the nature of some of our clients, the successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate
level of Security Clearance, which for this role is SC Level
To enable meaningful checks to be carried out, you will need to have lived in the UK for a sufficient period. To undergo an SC Level vetting process, you must normally have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the last 5 years.
How to apply
If you are passionate about a career in data engineering and you meet the requirements above, please
email your CV with a cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) outlining why you would be ideal for the role
to: email@example.com (Closing date for applications is the 27th of August)
Please note that because of the high number of applications we typically receive, it is not possible to
answer everyone in person, successful candidates will hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date.